Sunday, October 12, 2008

Monegan's Fears for Job

Page 22

Mr. Monegan testified about his thoughts on the drive back to his
office following his meeting with Mr. Palin:
MR. MONEGAN: Well, on the drive back, as I was reflecting on the meeting -- drive back to the office, I was thinking that in essence, they certainly didn't like the idea that Wooten was still employed. And they wanted severe discipline, probably termination, and that -- and if this was going to build, I had this kind of ominous feeling that I may not be long for this job if I -- if I didn't somehow respond accordingly.
MR. BRANCHFLOWER: So your career you thought might be in jeopardy unless you took some decisive action that might result in Trooper Wooten's dismissal from the force; is that your testimony? MR. MONEGAN: Yes. And -- but the flip side of it, I also got to augment with that that having been a police officer, I certainly believe in rules and regulations and laws and whatnot. And there is a certain part that you will not step over. So I was -- I felt that if there is a term where you start to feel pressure, you are between laws and selfpreservation, so to speak."

No comments: